We are passionate about historic buildings and how best to maintain, restore and conserve their architectural heritage and beauty.
We offer a number of Service Lines including but not limited to:
Surveys and Building Pathology
For any building type of any age, it is paramount that the make-up and construction detail is known and understood. Understanding how a building has been constructed, the known common and / or likely problems with a particular older building and the do’s and dont’s of effecting any repairs are paramount.
Repairs and Restoration Objectives
For historic buildings, a conservative approach is fundamental to any good restoration work. In order to achieve this objective we advise:
- Retain as much of the significant historic fabric as possible
- Understand how the building works
- Understand nature and condition of the buildings materials
- Understand the causes / processes of decay
- Keep changes to a minimum
Repairs and Restoration Approaches
When renovating historic buildings, we very often adopt a more holistic approach. The headline factors and considerations below provide a guide to this:
- Only classic techniques and materials proven to be appropriate to the fabric should be considered.
- Where a material or product is no longer available or appropriate, any alternative must have compatible properties to the original material, both technically and aesthetically.
- Details of all works should be adequately recorded for future reference.
- Interventions should contribute to or at least not compromise the sustainability of future management and maintenance of the building in question.